Create a roles based Mission, Vision, Responsibilities
Purpose: What is the org, project, or role's reason for existence. Gut inspiring, how we help people.
Test Your Purpose:
- Do you find this personally inspiring?
- Is this core purpose passionately held on a gut level
- Does it get to a deeper reason than just making money, how it will help people.
- Can this inspire for over 100 years
- Is this a perpetual guiding star - always to be pursued
- Will this bring out the energies and talents of people
- Does the purpose help you to decide what activities to not pursue
- Is this purpose authentic—something true to what the organization is all about
- Would you feel proud in describing your work in terms of this purpose to friends, family, others?
- Does it describe the resultant experience or outcome, not what you do?
- Each team member to write out their own version of the purpose statement
- Each team member to select and vote [click the star] on one purpose statement, other than their own, that meets above criteria
- Sort the template by "votes" in the settings, hover over the star to see vote totals. Discuss as a group the best choice.
- Test the choice out on the questions above.
- Finalize your core purpose and delete the alternatives
Vision: Big, 10yr+ audacious goal. Can fully visualize every aspect. Grabs you in the gut.
Test your Vision:
- Can you fully visualize every aspect of the Goal - see it from every angle
- Does it require 10 to 30 years of effort to complete
- Can the organization MUST believe “we can do it anyway” - even though 50/50 chance
- Does it have a clear finish line
- Does it engage people - grab them in the gut. It is tangible, energizing, highly focused.
- Does it stimulate forward progress
- Does it getting people going? Do they find it stimulating, exciting, adventurous?
- Can you commit that you will "Never give up” on this goal